Kittens often find themselves difficult to poop. They do not have a proper, timely habit to poop unless they are taught. Especially if the kittens are away from their mother, it is even more difficult for them to learn to poop. Are you wondering, when do kittens start pooping? How to teach your kitten to poop? Then this article is for you.
Create a litter box:
If you are nurturing a kitten and want to teach it to poop the first step is to habituate it to poop in a litter box. Create a litter box where you want in the premises of your home, for instance, it may be your bathroom, and make the kitten stay in the litter box. Make sure that the litter box is not a closed one, because most of the kittens hesitate to stay in a closed litter box.
When do kittens start pooping?
Generally, cats poop within 15 minutes after taking the food. So take your kitten to the litter box immediately after feeding it. Leave it alone, don’t stay in its eyesight because cats are shy and they like to poop privately and bury their pee. Do not clean the litter box entirely rather leave some pee in it so that the kitten recognizes the scent and next time when it wanted to go to the litter box it can find its way on its own.
Kittens often convey the message that they are about to poop through some gestures; they squat in a position that they usually don’t. So notice it and take the cat immediately to the litter box else the kittens if not yet habituated to the litter box find themselves a private place to poop and bury it. They may poop inside your bathroom, or corner of a room anywhere they would like to.
One more exciting gestures that a kitten perform is to cry when it feels like pooping. This is observed in kittens which got habituated to poop inside a litter box. If the kitten is blocked in a closed room, or anywhere away from her litter box it starts crying. So make sure that your kitten has access to the litter box.
How to teach your kitten to poop?
- If your kitten is under the age of two to 3 weeks, then you may need to teach it to poop especially if it is away from its mother.
- Take a warm wet cloth which is entirely designated for this purpose, hold it in your dominant hand and hold the kitten with your other hand.
- Make sure that you hold it gently and firm enough that it doesn’t run away.
- Now slowly massage the abdomen and anal portion of the kitten so that it stars pooping.
- Usually, the mother cats lick their babies just after feeding them, so the warm wet cloth does the same purpose.
- You can also use warm moist cotton balls instead of the cloth.
- Now slowly start moving the cloth towards the kitten’s bottom and start massaging the anal portion gently, wait till the kitten stars urinating.
- It is just like the mother cat licks the bottom of the kitten to simulate the kitten to poop. Immediately after the kitten stops urinating, it starts to poop.
- You can notice this on your cloth. So preferably use a light colored cloth. This entire process would take a minute or so.
- Clean the cloth neatly and perform the exercise until the kitten learns to poop on its own. After two to three weeks, you know when your kittens start pooping. If your kitten doesn’t poop even after this trial, you may better consult a veterinarian.